Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United Women 3-2 Lewes - report

25 November 2018

United's women's team overcame Lewes in a five-goal thriller to return to winning ways thanks to a winner 10 minutes from time from Sophie Jones.

Jones headed home Jade Pennock's free-kick after Lewes had fought back to twice equalise and United had to take the lead for the third time to seal the three points.

It means a third win in four for Carla Ward's after Izzy Ford's first goal for the club on her first start and Sophie Barker's goal helped tilt the game in the Blades' favour.

Ward made three changes from last week's defeat at London Bees with Ford replacing the injured Bex Rayner, Jones returning from injury and Greece international Veatriki Sarri making her debut for the club.

United started on the front foot and had several chances to take the lead, with Ford bending an effort over and Pennock forcing Faye Baker into a good save at her near post.

It took just 17 minutes to break the deadlock and it was 16-year-old Ford who curled the ball into the far corner to give United the lead.

Sam Tierney and Pennock once more had half chances to double the lead before United were punished when captain Ellie Gilliatt diverted Vicky Carleton's cross beyond Alex Brooks.

Kate McIntyre struck the crossbar with a fierce free-kick soon after and it took until 15 minutes into the second half for United to regain their composure.

United retook the lead when Gilliatt went on a trademark mazy run, saw her powerful effort strike the post, but the ball eventually found its way to Sophie Barker on the edge of the box, the midfielder brilliantly bending an effort around the defender with the outside of her right foot.

The visitors though didn't take that lying down and responded again with 15 minutes to go when Rebecca Carter curled home a neat finish when played in on goal.

But on a day where the hosts showed plenty of resilience, United weren't going to be denied and took the lead again just four minutes later, this time it was for good.

Pennock's free-kick found Jones at the back post and the forward looped a brilliant header back across goal, brushing the underside of the crossbar on its way in to seal a third victory in four matches.

Blades: Brooks, H. Barker (Dixon 58), Fletcher, Cox, Gilliatt, S. Barker, Tierney, Ford, Pennock, Jones (Paul 80), Sarri (Michalska 69).
Unused subs: Davies, Marsden, Merrick, Ibbotson.

Advertisement block