Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wednesday 0-0 Blades - report

4 March 2019

Sponsored by

For the second time this season, it finished goalless in the Sheffield derby, with Wednesday frustrating the Blades at Hillsborough.

In a game of few chances, Gary Madine had United's best, only to be denied by Kieron Westwood, whilst Dean Henderson produced an excellent reflex save to deny Sam Hutchinson in the second period.

For the trip across the city, Wilder made three changes, with O'Connell, Basham and Madine all named in the starting XI. Cranie and McGoldrick dropped to the bench, with Johnson missing out.

After a quiet opening, it was the Blades through Madine who had the first chance of the game on seven minutes, Norwood's inch perfect cross found the head of Madine at the back post, but Westwood somehow kept the ball out of the net. The game had really opened up, with United forcing four quick corners and Wednesday enjoying a couple of their own.

The rain continued to fall from the Hillsborough skies and referee Bankes was seemingly missing a number of fouls in the Blades favour, with Freeman, Madine and Sharp amongst those to be upended.

As half-time approached, Hector was punished twice in quick succession for blatant fouls on Madine, from the second of those free-kicks, Egan headed over at the near post, having got a run on his marker.

Wednesday made a change at the break with Boyd replacing Forestieri. United almost made the perfect start to the second-half, but Sharp couldn't get the ball under control after Fleck had got the better of Hutchinson. At the other end, Fletcher went for an acrobatic effort from Boyd's left-wing cross, but in sailed high and wide.

The Blades pressed forward again moments later, Freeman and Basham combined on the right and the right laid it back for Norwood who sent an effort towards goal, but unfortunately Sharp couldn't get what would have been a telling touch. Wednesday responded, Reach did well on the right before Aarons forced Henderson into a save from Hutchinson's deep cross.

In the 62nd minute, Dowell was replaced by Cranie, a substitution that saw Basham advance into midfield. But three minutes later, it was Henderson who was required to keep the scores level. Aarons advanced forward from Fletcher's pass and Hutchinson from a central position saw United's number one deny him from point-blank range.

With 22 minutes left to play, Madine was replaced by McGoldrick. And the substitute looked a threat twice in quick succession, winning a corner on the second occasion, from which Westwood flapped and the Owls scrambled clear. Cranie then got the better of Bannan, but Hector blocked at the expense of another corner.

Two minutes of injury-time were signalled and Aarons fired harmless over the bar with the last action of note as the spoils were shared for a second time this season.

Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Fletcher (Nuhiu 89), Bannan, Lees, Reach, Hutchinson, Iorfa (Fox 79), Hector, Aarons, Forestieri (Boyd 45).
Unused: Pelupessy, Matias, Dawson, Pudil.

Blades: Henderson, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Dowell (Cranie 62), Sharp, Egan, Madine (McGoldrick 68), Norwood, Freeman.
Unused: Hogan, Coutts, Stearman, Duffy, Moore.

Advertisement block