Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades 2-0 Ipswich - report

27 April 2019

Sponsored by

United moved another step closer to the top-flight with victory over Ipswich Town at Bramall Lane.

A goal in each half from Scott Hogan and Jack O'Connell sealed a third straight victory to put the Blades top of the Sky Bet Championship.

For the clash against Town, boss Wilder made one change, with Basham returning to the starting XI, Cranie dropped to the bench, where he was joined by skipper Sharp.

United were immediately on the attack, with McGoldrick inches away from opening the scoring from Basham's cross. Then another crossing opportunity was fashioned, but Duffy's low centre evaded everyone. The waves of pressure kept coming, but Hogan failed to capitalise on a mistake from Chambers.

Midway through the first-half the visitors enjoyed a spell of possession, with O'Connell blocking an effort from Bishop. But in the 24th minute it was the Blades who took a deserved lead. Duffy found O'Connell overlapping on the left and his low cross was side-footed home by HOGAN, who had got across the front of his marker.

The half hour ticked by and only a block from Nsiala denied Norwood adding a second, from a quickly taken corner. McGoldrick then picked out the run of a marauding Baldock, but the wing-back was denied by Gerken.

The first-half ended with United again forcing the issue, although tempers threatened to boil over when Judge went in late on O'Connell, resulting in a booking for the midfielder.

The second period began as the first had ended with United pressing for a second and it almost came when Norwood hit the post with Gerken beaten from a free-kick after a foul on Stevens. Norwood won the ball high up the pitch and his cross looked destined to be headed home by McGoldrick, but it nestled in the side-netting.

On 63 minutes, Wilder made his first change and Sharp received a standing ovation as he replaced McGoldrick. And five minutes later, United missed a golden chance to add a second. Norwood's corner found Egan unmarked six yards out, but he headed over. But from the next corner, delivered by Fleck, the Blades did go two goals in front, with O'CONNELL powering home a header on the run, raising high above Gerken.

With 13 minutes left to play, all four sides of Bramall Lane stood as one as Madine replaced McGoldrick. Duffy was the next to receive warm applause as he was withdrawn, with Lundstram entering the field for the final five minutes.

Two minutes of added time were signalled and they passed with incident, as United took another step towards the Premier League.

Blades: Henderson, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Hogan (Sharp 63), Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick (Madine 77), Duffy (Lundstram 85).
Unused: Dowell, Stearman, Moore, Cranie.

Ipswich: Gerken, Chambers, Skuse, Jackson (Dozzell 68), Keane (Chalobah 8) Bishop, Downes, Nsiala, Kenlock, Judge, Bree.
Unused: Elder, Emmanuel, Bialkowski, El Mizouni, Ndaba.

Advertisement block