Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades 1-0 Hull - report

6 October 2018

Sponsored by

The Blades moved to the top of the Sky Bet Championship with victory over Hull City at Bramall Lane.

David McGoldrick's second-half penalty proved decisive as United were forced to be patient against Nigel Adkins's Tigers.

For the fourth successive game, boss Wilder named an unchanged starting XI, although Baldock replaced Lundstram on the bench.

The game was open from the first whistle, Henriksen and Campbell fired high and wide for City, whilst Stevens almost capitalised on a slip from Burke at the other end. United gradually were again the upper hand, with McGoldrick scooping his effort over after Duffy and Sharp had combined.

The Blades continued to enjoy the best of the game as the half hour mark ticked by, with Duffy almost catching Marshall out at his near post. Egan became the first caution of the game, for a foul on Irvine.

With half-time approaching, the Blades were back on the front foot and Stevens drew a save from Marshall at his near post, having combined nicely with Duffy. The last effort of the half saw Duffy fire over from a promising position, after a well worked corner by Norwood.

Hull were quickly out of the traps following the restart, with Dicko forcing Henderson into a save at his near post from Martin's flick-on. In response, the Blades forced a corner, from which Fleck fired over in the second phase from a promising position.

On 62 minutes, the Kop were up in anticipation of a goal, but from Freeman's header down, Sharp couldn't hit the target. Elphick was booked for a foul on Sharp, before Bramall Lane erupted with noise as Coutts replaced Duffy.

It was the visitors though who should have gone it front moments later, Irvine's cross was inch perfect for Henriksen, but Henderson was at his best to deny him. And United went straight down the other end and made City pay. Referee Bankes spotted a foul by Elphick on O'Connell from Norwood's corner and from the spot MCGOLDRICK sent Marshall the wrong way to the delight of the Kop.

With 12 minutes remaining, McGoldrick was booked for a foul on Burke, before Clarke and Johnson replaced the goalscorer and skipper Sharp.

Four minutes of added time were signalled, but it was the Blades who enjoyed the better of stoppage-time and comfortably saw it out to move to the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Blades: Henderson, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Sharp (Johnson 87), Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick (Clarke 87), Freeman, Duffy (Coutts 66).
Unused: Baldock, Stearman, Moore, Washington.

Hull: Marshall, Lichaj, Burke, Irvine (Groscicki 80), Kane, Batty, Henriksen, Kingsley, Campbell (Dicko 29), Martin (Bowen 71), Elphick.
Unused: Stewart, Long, Keane, McKenzie.

Advertisement block