United's Sky Bet Championship fixture with Burton Albion, scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed.
The decision has been made with Bramall Lane currently gripped by the current arctic conditions and further adverse weather forecast.
Whilst the pitch could be prepared, the Bramall Lane stands and access to them, the surrounds and travel to and from S2 have been deemed unsafe following negotiations between the club, Safety Advisory Group, South Yorkshire Police and EFL.
"The conditions of the past couple of days have made preparing for Saturday's game very difficult and the biggest priority we have had to consider is supporter safety and wellbeing. The pitch is in fantastic condition and would be fit, the undersoil heating having been on for the last seven days, but the snow and ice, plus the threat of further arctic conditions, has prompted us to have conversations with the relevant authorities and the decision has been made with us unable to guarantee supporter safety," commented chief operating officer, Andrew Birks.
Serious issues include:
- The safety of roads and pavements in and around Bramall Lane, with a crowd of more than 20,000 expected
- Clearing all stands fully of ice and snow, continually, due to further snow forecast. Drifting snow is currently collecting at the top and bottom of the Kennedy's Kop
- Car parks needing continuous gritting and snow moving - the club have already employed a private contractor to assist
- Club staff, stewards and medical staff being able to get in to Bramall Lane
- A yellow warning from the Met Office, which indicates further adverse conditions between 00.05 on Friday 2nd March through to 23.55pm on Saturday 3rd March making conditions difficult for staff to prepare the stadium
For the above reasons the game has been postponed. A re-arranged date and kick-off time will be announced in due course. Tickets already purchased for the fixture will be valid for the re-arranged date, whilst those unable to attend will be entitled to a refund. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org