Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ipswich 0-0 Blades - report

10 March 2018

Sponsored by

The Blades were unable to pick up a third victory of the season over Ipswich Town but did add another point to the tally. The closest effort of the game came from substitute James Wilson, who hit a post.

Ched Evans and Lundstram started, replacing Donaldson, who dropped to the bench, and an unfit Duffy, who missed out with a tight calf muscle. Loan striker Wilson was deemed fit to be amongst the substitutes and the Ipswich team included Carter-Vickers, who spent the first half of the season on loan at United.

United took 60 seconds to create a chance but Baldock's shot with his unfavoured left-foot was saved comfortably by Bialkowski. In a busy start, Lee Evans beat the wall with a free-kick but not the Ipswich goalkeeper and the home side responded with a breakaway, which O'Connell cleared, and Waghorn dragging a shot across goal.

Before the ten minute mark Stearman was booked after pulling down Waghorn and from the resulting free-kick Iorfa forced a save from Blackman.

The opening exchanges were a false dawn for the supporters, however, as the goalmouth action slowed. On a wet, tricky pitch both sides struggled in the bid to gain control.

United's appeals for a penalty were waved away on 33 minutes when Sharp was nudged as he tried to control Fleck's pass and late on in the half, the Blades looked the most threatening, although in added time, Ipswich won two corners and Celina shot wide.

The opening chance of the second half, on 49 minutes, saw Lundstram opt to lay off to Ched Evans instead of shoot and the Welsh striker looked to be pulled back as he sought a route to goal - in the following melee, the ball was hammered at Fleck and flew over the crossbar.

Celina's 20-yard effort was tipped around a post by Blackman but United were edging the second half in terms of possession and chances. Baldock beat a couple of defenders before holding up a cross but Sharp's back post effort was blocked.

Wilson took over from Ched Evans and within ten minutes had the best chance of the game. On 78 minutes, Blackman bowled out to Fleck, who found Wilson and he let fly with a 25-yard effort which came back off a post and Sharp's efforts to keep down the rebound saw him fire into the ground before the ball bounced up over the crossbar.

It was Sharp's last contribution before he was replaced by Brooks and the substitute had plenty of touches in the closing minutes as the Blades looked for a winner.

Brooks had a chance to shoot, O'Connell couldn't direct a Fleck free-kick towards goal, whilst Donaldson was introduced.

Late on, over-hit passes from Stevens and Fleck stifled any growing momentum, leaving the travelling fans to be content with point.

Ipswich: Bialkowski, Iorfa (Spence 45, Garner 81), Chambers, Webster, Skuse, Waghorn, Celina, Connolly (Hyam 60), Gleeson, Carter-Vickers, Kenlock
Unused: Ward, Sears, Nydam, Crowe.

Blades: Blackman, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Lundstram (Donaldson 87), Sharp (Brooks 78), Stearman, L Evans, C Evans (Wilson 69).
Unused: Moore, Leonard, Lafferty, Holmes.

Advertisement block