Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Blades 2-0 Burton - report

13 March 2018

Sponsored by

United moved up to seventh in the Sky Bet Championship, with a comfortable victory over Burton Albion at Bramall Lane on Tuesday night.

A goal in each half from Enda Stevens, his first for the club and David Brooks saw United register a third consecutive home success to move United to within two points of the play-off places.

For Tuesday's rearranged clash against Burton, boss Wilder made two changes with Duffy and Wilson recalled to starting XI, in place of striker Evans and Lundstram.

After a quiet opening 10 minutes, the first incident saw Evans and Allen clash, competing for a loose ball, with both players requiring treatment and Allen was subsequently replaced. Moments later, it was Burton who had the first attempt on goal, with Dyer forcing a save from Blackman at his near post.

On 22 minutes, United crafted a first opening of the night, a throw-in from Stevens found Fleck in space and his drilled cross only needed a touch, but McFadzean diverted away to safety. A short corner caught the visitors cold, but Wilson inadvertently blocked Fleck's effort, before Evans fired over.

But in the 29th minute, the Blades managed to break Burton's resistance. Baldock got to the byline from a throw-in on the right and cut the ball back for the onrushing STEVENS to score from eight yards out.

On the stroke of half-time, United had two scares in as many minutes. Some neat play saw Flanagan get a cross in and a crucial block took the ball wide of the goal, as Akpan tried to turn to home. And then the visitors came even closer in their next attack, but Blackman was at his best to deny Dyer, who had been played in by Bent.

United started the second period on the front foot and after Baldock had seen an effort blocked, Sharp just failed to appy the finishing touch at the back post from Wilson's low cross. The game was open, Sordell should have scored from a corner at one, before Bywater denied Duffy and Flanagan stopped Sharp on the rebound at the other end.

Burton continued to be a threat going forward, with Bent heading wide from a Davenport corner. Another score came moments later, as Stearman nearly headed into his own net. Evans became the first to see yellow for a late tackle on Davenport.

United made a first change just after the hour, with BROOKS replacing Wilson. And within three minutes he had made a telling contribution. Basham's ball forward was expertly laid into Duffy's path by Sharp and having been played in on goal the Welsh international made no mistake, slotting past Bywater.

The Blades were now dominating following the goal and Evans grazed the top of the crossbar with a rasping drive. In a matter of minutes, referee Duncan had his book out twice, with Naylor and then Stearman carded.

As three minutes of added time were signalled, Bywater produced a good save to deny Fleck from a free-kick and from the resulting corner, Stearman's acrobatics almost resulted in a third, but it mattered not as the Blades eased through the remainder of stoppage-time.

Blades: Blackman, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck O'Connell, Basham, Sharp (Donaldson 90), Wilson (Brooks 61), Stearman, L Evans, Duffy (Lundstram 85).
Unused: Moore, Donaldson, Leonard, Lafferty, Holmes.

Burton: Bywater, Allen (Sbarra 12), McFadzean, Bent (Varney 82), Dyer, Flanagan (Buxton 82), McCrory, Naylor, Sordell, Davenport, Akpan.
Unused: Varney, Campbell, Barker, Boyce.

Advertisement block