Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Ipswich 0-1 Blades - report

6 January 2018

Sponsored by

United rewarded the 1,110 Blades fans who made the trip to Ipswich with a third round victory in the Emirates FA Cup.

Nathan Thomas scored the only goal - a cracker into the top corner.

As expected, Wilder made changes for the trip to Suffolk - eight in total - Baldock, Basham and Stearman remained in the starting line-up from Monday's encounter at Derby. The bench included two 18-year-olds - Sheffielder Slater and Welsh U21s international Norrington-Davies.

The opening ten minutes saw Ipswich attempt to gain the early momentum. They won two corners and from one a header hit Lafferty, prompting handball claims. Celina also had a shot deflected over for the home side.

United's first attack saw Thomas drag a shot wide but he was to be influential during the half. He opened the scoring on 25 minutes, smashing into the top corner from outside the box, giving Bialkowski no chance, following a Lavery lay-off.

Thomas robbed Hyam to open up an opportunity for Lavery to have a shot saved and then the goalscorer looked like he would have to be replaced after lengthy treatment but convinced the Blades management team he was fit enough to continue.

The only other notable chance of the first half also saw Thomas involved in the build-up before Sharp laid off for Basham, who turned Hyam but curled his shot wide.

Thomas succumbed to his injury at the break and was replaced by Slater as United almost took advantage of a couple of defensive lapses. Lafferty fired over after Sharp drew out goalkeeper Bialkowski and then a mistake saw Sharp lay off to Lavery but Chambers kicked off the line.

Ipswich's first chance of the second half arrived on 67 minutes but Connolly headed over Celina's cross. United hit back with Sharp's reverse pass putting Carruthers in the clear and Baldock's shot towards the near post - Bialkowski saved both.

Donaldson took over from Lavery in the final 20 minutes as the Blades continued to keep Ipswich at arm's length. Slater went close to doubling the lead, shooting over from the edge of the box after he was given space.

Fleck replaced Sharp late on and immediately hit a first time shot, which was just wide, and the home side struggled to get out of their own half to test United's rearguard.

There was one final Ipswich opportunity, three minutes into added time, following a crude challenge by Carter-Vickers on McGoldrick. However, Connolly met Celina's free-kick but his flicked header flew wide.

Ipswich: Bialkowski, Iorfa, Chambers, Knudsen, Kenlock, Connolly, Hyam (Waghorn 61), Bru, Celina, Sears, McGoldrick.
Subs: Crowe, Skuse, Garner, Drinan, Webber, McLoughlin.

Blades: Blackman, Baldock, Basham, Thomas (Slater 45), Sharp (Fleck 88), Wright, Carter-Vickers, Stearman, Lavery (Donaldson 72), Lafferty, Carruthers.
Subs: Moore, Stevens, O'Connell, Norrington-Davies.

Advertisement block