Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnsley 3-2 Blades - report

7 April 2018

Sponsored by

An all-action South Yorkshire derby ended in disappointment for the Blades following a late goal.

Goals from John Fleck and Leon Clarke put the Blades head going into the final 20 minutes but Tom Bradshaw scored late on to win it for Barnsley.

Stearman did not recover from his hamstring problem in time to feature and Wright slotted into the defence. Wilson and Duffy were recalled to the bench after injury issues.

Barnsley made the better start and had twice put United under aerial pressure in the first two minutes ahead of Moncur twisting and turning before striking the Blades crossbar.

United's first chance was an Evans half-volley which was over and great link-up play between Clarke, Evans and Lundstram created an opportunity for the latter but he was unbalanced as he shot.

The home side, however, went ahead on 25 minutes. A fortunate corner was only half cleared to the edge of the box and GARDNER beat Moore with a rising, drilled, powerful effort.

Boss Wilder was clearly not happy with United's first half performance and made a change on 38 minutes with Evans replaced by Sharp, who went close from Basham's cross with the last effort of the half.

United began the second period with renewed vigour and Baldock had fired over before Duffy replaced Brooks.

Isgrove robbed Fleck to create a Barnsley break but Moore saved Moncur's deflected effort and in a frantic start to the second half, a Stevens shot was blocked and Sharp was ushered away from the rebound.

United levelled before the hour, though. Overloading players down the left, there were a number of intricate touches before FLECK smashed home.

Goalscorer Fleck's corner saw Clarke head down but Basham's effort was deflected wide and a spell of pressure resulted in a second Blades goal. Again United caused Barnsley problems down the left and CLARKE was well placed to hammer into the top corner, much to the delight of the travelling Blades fans.

Barnsley, to their credit, responded to the setback and on 74 minutes the game was level again. Hammill's shot was parried by Moore and McBURNIE touched in the rebound from close range.

Fleck was crowded out as he looked to benefit from Baldock's pull-back and Stevens fired across goal after Duffy's pass as United went in search of a winner.

However, a decisive fifth goal came at the other end for the home side on 88 minutes. Tykes striker Moore got around the back of the defence and his powerful cross was met by substitute Bradshaw at the far post.

Wilder threw on an extra striker for the remaining minutes in Wilson but the only chance to level saw Sharp shoot over after tight, neat play around the box by Clarke and Fleck.

Barnsley: Davies, Fryers, Lindsay, Moncur (Bradshaw 69), Isgrove (Hammill 59), McBurnie (Cavare 90), Yiadom, Jackson, Moore, Potts, Gardner.
Unused: Mallan, Pinnock, Mahoney, Walton.

Blades: Moore, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Lundstram, Clarke, Wright (Wilson 90), L. Evans (Sharp 38), Brooks (Duffy 49).
Unused: Leonard, Lafferty, Holmes, Eastwood.


Advertisement block