Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Peterborough v Blades

11 February 2017

Peterborough 0-1 Blades - report

Peterborough 0-1 Blades - report
Skipper Billy Sharp's 20th goal of the season saw United claim three valuable points at Peterborough on Saturday.

His header came just three minutes from time in a tough battle at London Road.

Manager Wilder made two enforced changes for the trip down the A1. Coutts collected an ankle injury in training and Ebanks-Landell was still suffering with the hip injury which forced him out of AFC Wimbledon victory. Basham started in defence and Carruthers came in for his full debut.

The first action saw Sharp offside as he met Duffy's free-kick and Peterborough's Edwards fired over after some neat passing around the edge of the box. Binnom-Williams whipped in a number of early balls from the left, whilst in an even opening 20 minutes Fleck fired over from 35-yards.

Through the midway point of the half there was still little to separate the teams. Hanson and Lafferty had chances in the same move, whilst long range efforts from Edwards and Maddison kept Moore on his toes.

The later stages of the half saw the game open somewhat but the better chances fell to United.

On 38 minutes Sharp beat the offside trap on the right and from his pull-back Hanson's first effort was stopped by goalkeeper McGee and the second from the striker hit the sidenetting. The final opportunity of the half saw Sharp lay off again but this time Duffy curled wide from the edge of the box.

The second half started like the first ended, open and frantic. Again the chances came from United. Following a break, instigated by O'Connell, Hanson's header was saved and Sharp half-volleyed over the rebound. Wright was involved in the next break but Fleck's shot was deflected and comfortable for the goalkeeper.

O'Shea was introduced for his debut just after the hour and was soon involved, he fired over from the corner of the box, whilst Peterborough were still a threat, particularly after a couple of changes of their own. From a quick throw on 72 minutes Maddison shot early but Moore made a fine save low to his right.

With just over 10 minutes to go Lavery replaced Lafferty with a change of system also employed. An O'Connell cross saw a stretching Hanson head over before the goal finally arrived, after a spell of pressure.

United were pushing Peterborough back and with three minutes remaining O'Shea chipped in a cross from the right, Hanson headed back across goal for SHARP to prod in from close range. Cue the celebrations.

The remaining minutes saw Riley introduced for his debut and the Blades fans - almost 4,000 of them - in full voice. Five minutes of added time was announced but not once was the United rearguard troubled as three more points were added to the tally.

Peterborough: McGee, Smith, Tafazolli, Edwards (Forrester 61), Maddison, Ball, Mackail-Smith, Inman (Samuelson 89), Nichols (Morais 62), Binnom-Williams, Grant.
Unused: Hughes, Baldwin, Angol, Tyler, Morias.

Blades: Moore, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Sharp, Wright, Hanson, Freeman, Duffy (O'Shea 61), Lafferty (Lavery 79), Carruthers (Riley 89).
Unused: Long, McNulty, Done,Wilson.

Advertisement block