Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wimbledon v Blades

10 September 2016

Wimbledon 2-3 Blades - report

Wimbledon 2-3 Blades - report

United made it three successive wins with a hard-fought success at AFC Wimbledon on Saturday.

Mark Duffy and Billy Sharp gave United the lead and Matt Done added another in the second half.

Boss Wilder made one change from the starting XI that defeated Gillingham; with Ebanks-Landell making his full debut, replacing Wilson, who dropped to the bench.

Kicking off at a wet and compact Cherry Records Stadium in the capital, the early chances dropped the way of home side. From a Reeves cross, Ebanks-Landell slipped but Barnett failed to take advantage with his deft header dropping wide. The Dons striker then volleyed over after a throw from the left.

The Blades, though, grabbed the lead with the first attack, on 20 minutes. A costly slip by a defender enabled Freeman's pass to reach DUFFY, who twisted and turned and waited for the perfect time to slot past goalkeeper Clarke.

Six minutes later the lead was doubled. Done chased down Lafferty's pass on the left and from his ideal pinpoint cross, SHARP headed home in the middle of the goal.

Barnett was off target again when he headed wide a Francomb corner but the home side reduced the arrears on 38 minutes. A challenge between Freeman and Barcham saw the latter come out with the ball and his near post cross was nodded in by ex-Lane loanee POLEON.

Late in half Wimbledon attempted to force the issue and put the Blades defence under pressure but the back line stood firm to protect the lead at the interval.

Fleck replaced Basham at the break and the Blades had two chances in as many minutes, both falling to Duffy. Firstly he fired over in space, 25 yards out, and then clipped wide a great Blades move which involved Freeman, Done and a Sharp back-heel.

The next two chances, on 51 and 54 minutes, both fell to Done. His first, a half-volley was pushed away by Clarke, and then, after rounding the goalkeeper, he was unable to find the target from an acute angle.

Moore made a routine save from Barcham but the Blades were soon back on front foot and Ebanks-Landell headed wide after Fleck recycled a corner.

At the hour mark, though, United's third goal finally arrived. Fleck's through ball found the intelligent run of DONE, who this time beat the goalkeeper and found the net.

Clarke replaced Sharp and O'Connell took the armband as the home side changed their shape to try and cause United problems. A Coutts foul on Taylor presented Wimbledon a free-kick on 72 minutes and from Parrett's delivery, ELLIOTT snuck in at the back post to beat Moore.

Late on Wimbledon's change of shape dictated a change in plan and they were happy to play longer. From Elliott's knockdown, Taylor volleyed over and the home side slung in a couple of long throws to test United.

Five minutes of added time gave the home side hope and they continued to bombard United's back line but a professional defensive display saw Moore untested late on as the Blades collected another maximum point haul.

AFC Wimbledon: Clarke, Fuller, Meades, Robinson, Francomb (Whelpdale 80), Reeves, Barcham, Parrett, Barnett (Elliott 64), Charles (Taylor 64), Poleon.
Unused: Shea, Bulman, Beere, Kelly.

Blades: Moore, O'Connell, Basham (Fleck 45), Sharp (Clarke 64), Done (Scougall 80), Wright, Coutts, Freeman, Ebanks-Landell, Duffy, Lafferty.
Unused: Hussey, Ramsdale, Wilson, Chapman.

Advertisement block