Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades v Orient

6 November 2016

Blades 6-0 Leyton Orient - report

United secured a record FA Cup victory over Leyton Orient at Bramall Lane on Sunday afternoon.

The Blades scored three times in each half against the O's with Middlesbrough loanee Harry Chapman netting a second-half hat-trick, after Chris Basham, Stefan Scougall and Kieron Freeman had scored in first-half.

For the clash against the O's, teenage goalkeeper Ramsdale made his senior debut in place of the injured Moore, whilst Chapman and O'Connell replaced skipper Sharp, who had been ill during the week and Ebanks-Landell who wasn't given permission to play by Wolves in boss Wilder's starting XI.

Prior to kick-off, everyone inside Bramall Lane paid their respects as Remembrance Day approaches.

After a quiet opening ten minutes, it is the visitors who have the first sight of goal, but Semedo lashed his effort high and wide from the edge of the penalty area. Two minutes later, the O's should have taken the lead. Palmer got the better of Wright on the left, but a combination of the Blades defender and Ramsdale snuffed out the danger at the expense of a corner.

The Blades registered their first meaningful attempt at goal in response, but Lafferty's right-footed shot was always rising and went over the bar. In the 22nd minute, United came even close, Lafferty this time was the provider, he teed up Duffy who was only denied by a smart save at his near post by Cisak. But Orient weren't as fortunate from the resulting quickly taken set-piece. Fleck drove at Massey and his cross was inch perfect for BASHAM who stooped to head home.

Five minutes before the break, the Blades took complete control of the tie. Having dominated possession and territory since going in front, SCOUGALL fired home a second after Basham had flicked on Duffy's free-kick following Weir's foul on Fleck. But that wasn't the scoring done for the first period. From another quickly taken free-kick, Chapman drove past Dunne and crossed to the back post beating the outstretched dive of Cisak for FREEMAN to head into the empty net.

At the interval, Lavery replaced Scougall. The Blades picked up from where they left off at the beginning of the second period. Cisak twice was required to deny Duffy and then from the resulting corner O'Connell. But the Blades didn't have to wait long to make it four, CHAPMAN received the ball from Coutts's pass midway through Orient's half, before advancing past a handful of defenders before shooting home left-footed into the bottom corner.

On the hour, Duffy received a generous round of applause from the 6,099 inside Bramall Lane as Brooks entered the fray. The chances continued to come United's way and it should have been five in the 65th minute, but Cisak saved with his legs to deny Coutts after Chapman had captilised on a slip by Parkes.

CHAPMAN got his second and United fifth with 20 minutes, adding the finishing touch to a right-wing cross by Brooks, after O'Connell had recycled Fleck's free-kick. Shortly after the fifth goal, skipper Coutts was replaced by Whiteman.

The remained of the contest past with United continuing to dominate possession and in the final minute of stoppage time CHAPMAN made the most of a slip by Dunne to complete his hat-trick in front of the Kop, cooling chipping Cisak, to make it six of the best for the Blades.

Blades: Ramsdale, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Scougall (Lavery 45), Wright, Coutts (Whiteman 72), Freeman, Duffy (Brooks 60) Lafferty, Chapman.
Unused: Long, Sharp, Brown, Reed.

Orient: Cisak, Kennedy, Dunne, Parkes (Janse 80), Weir, Palmer (Bowery 35) Massey, Atangana, Hunt, Semedo, Simpson (McCallum 70).
Unused: Collins, Sargeant, Pollock, Benedicic.

Advertisement block