Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades v Oldham

12 March 2016

Blades 3-0 Oldham - report

Blades 3-0 Oldham - match report

United returned to winning ways, with two first half goals paving the way to a comfortable success over Oldham Athletic.

John Brayford and Ryan Flynn both netted their first league goals of the season in the first half and Billy Sharp added a third after the interval.

Sharp was back after illness, but Basham and Cuvelier missed out through injury. Chief Adkins made three changes in total, Sharp started alongside Adams, whilst skipper McEveley returned and teenager Whiteman made his full debut in midfield.

The Blades were dominant in the opening 20 minutes, Oldham's attacking efforts in that period was a solitary corner. Done whipped in an number of teasing deliveries from the left and Flynn saw a lot of possession from his central midfield role.

United's early work was rewarded with the opening goal on 10 minutes. After Done, Adams and Flynn had all worked hard to keep the pressure on around Oldham's box, Whiteman laid off to BRAYFORD, who netted with a left-footed half-volley.

Adams then had two opportunities to double the lead. He was crowded out after good work from Flynn and Sharp and then he blocked a Brayford shot and forced a save out of Coleman with the rebound.

United's second, however, soon followed. A ball through the midfield was not intended for FLYNN, but he raced onto the loose ball, kept his composure to round Coleman before slotting home.
Flynn shot over a moment later, whilst at the other end, on 27 minutes, Long tipped over a header from Forte, but the former Blade was pulled up for a push on Edgar.

As the break approached, Oldham managed to stem United's attacking intent, although Done's shot across goal on 41 minutes excited the Lane fans.

The action at the start of the second half was not as frantic as the first but the Blades went close on 48 minutes when a quick interchange between Whiteman, Sharp and Adams forced Coleman into a save.

Long made an impressive save from Main after Palmer's lay-off, whilst the visitors had used all three of their substitutions before the hour mark.

Oldham's Main, with little other option, crashed a 30-yard effort against the crossbar on 69 minutes, before United added a third to put the game well and truly out of the visiting side's reach. Baptiste laid off to Brayford, whose blind pass caught the defence out and SHARP was quickest to react, beating Coleman at his near post with a powerful shot.

The final period saw the Blades well in control, with neither goalkeeper particularly troubled, although Long had to collect an injury-time chip from Gerrard.

Blades: Long, Brayford, Flynn, Sharp, Done, McEveley, Baptiste, Adams (Calvert-Lewin 65), Edgar, Hammond (Reed 71), Whiteman (Coutts 75).
Unused: Howard, Coutts, Sammon, McGahey.

Oldham: Coleman, Mills, Dieng, J. Wilson, Jones (B. Wilson 59), Amadi-Holloway (Thiele 59), Forte, Palmer, Winchester, Gerrard, Dummigan (Main 45).
Unused: Brown, Kelly, Croft, Cornell.

Advertisement block