Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blackpool v Blades

26 January 2016

Blackpool 0-0 Blades - report

The Blades left the seaside on Tuesday night with a point following a battle in tough conditions.

Both sides had chances throughout the game but the rain, wind and pitch contributed.

750 Blades fans braved the conditions as United added a point to the total to stay amongst the division's top teams.

Chief Adkins made three changes. Blackpool old boy Basham missed out through injury, as did Done; Woolford dropped to the bench. In came Baxter, Sammon and Campbell-Ryce, who began on the left flank.

The Blades created a chance inside the first minute, Sharp and Brayford linking up ahead of a Coutts cross for Sammon, who sidefooted wide, whilst the tricky, bouncy surface and a fast-pace made for an entertaining start. On three minutes, Redshaw's flicked header from McAlister's cross was also wide.

Sharp half-volleyed over after racing onto a Coutts pass from right to left, whilst Long did very well to shovel a long-range blaster from McAllister wide, particularly as the ball may have taken a deflection.

Around the 15-minute mark the Blades got on top and worked a number of opportunities. Campbell-Ryce played inside for Sammon to lay off but Sharp curled wide with goalkeeper Doyle at full stretch. Campbell-Ryce then stung the palms of the stopper from distance and then, following Brayford's ball into the box, Sammon took a steadying touch before forcing Doyle into an impressive reaction save.

The only other chance of the first half, which saw both teams trying to get on the front foot, was a free-kick from Yeates which curled into the arms of Long.

Blackpool began the second half with a few chances. A Potts drive was over, Evatt headed wide a corner at the near post and McAlister was crowded out after a Philliskirk lay-off. United's first opportunity after the interval saw Baxter shoot over after a Coutts run

Substitute Ikpeazu shrugged off Baxter to curl a shot onto the roof of the net, whilst United's first change saw Adams replace Sharp, who appeared to be hobbling.

A great move on 74 minutes, the ball shifting from right to left, almost brought United a goal. Coutts, Adams and Sammon were all involved before a shot from Campbell-Ryce saw goalkeeper Doyle save and hold at the second attempt. Soon after, Collins headed over a Baxter corner.

The strength of Ikpeazu gave the United backline more to think about late on and tired legs, from both sides, in the rain saw the game open up. Both sides had half-chances on the break, whilst McEveley blocked from Norris as the game entered injury-time.

The final chance summed up the game, with Norris volleying well over, whilst an indication of United's intent saw the Blackpool goalkeeper win the man of the match award

Blackpool: Doyle, White, Ferguson, McAlister (Ikpeazu 61), Potts, Redshaw (Cullen 73), Aldred, Philliskirk, Norris, Aimson (Robertson 75), Yeates.
Unused: Herron, Boyce, Osayi-Samuel, Lutheran.

Blades: Long, Brayford, Coutts (Flynn 89), Sharp (Adams 70), Baxter (Woolford 86), Collins, Sammon, McEveley, Campbell-Ryce, Edgar, Hammond.
Unused: Howard, Reed, Calvert-Lewin, McGahey.

Advertisement block