Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s 1-0 Barnsley - report

15 February 2016

United's U21s made it twelve games unbeaten in the Professional Development League on Monday afternoon with a hard fought success over Barnsley at the Look Local Stadium, home of Stocksbridge Park Steels.

David Brooks scored the decisive goal eight minutes from time as the Blades continued their impressive form in chase of a top two finish in their respective division of the aforementioned competition.

The home side started positively at Bracken Moor, with McFadzean stinging the palms of Townsend, before the Barnsley goalkeeper then had to make a timely intervention to deny Semple as the Blades enjoyed a bright opening to the fixture.

At the other end, former Blade Khan wasted a golden opportunity to put the visitors in front, although credit to the retreating Banton who managed to deflect the ball wide.

In freezing conditions, firstly Khan and then Scowen were both booked for cynical fouls on Gilmour and McDonagh respectively, before Townsend was again called into action to save from McFadzean in the final action of the first-half.

The beginning of the second period saw both teams have opportunities to open the scoring, Brooks missed for United at the back post, whilst at the other end Ramsdale tipped over Templeton's long range effort.

Mallon and De Girolamo were introduced as United chased a winner, but it was the Tykes who should have gone in front when Nyatanga missed the target with a free header.

And that miss was to prove costly as BROOKS netted what proved to be the winning goal in the 82nd minute keeping his composure after substitute De Girolamo had caught the Barnsley defence napping and laid the opening on a plate for the young midfielder to slot home past Townsend.

Blades: Ramsdale, Gordon, Kelly, Gilmour, Banton, Semple, McFadzean (Mallon 61) Whiteman, McDonagh, Brooks, K. Smith (De Girolamo 71).
Unused: Eastwood, Adebowale, Wilkin.

Advertisement block