Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades v Wigan

6 February 2016

Blades 0-2 Wigan - report

Two goals in three minutes destroyed United's chances of a home win in Saturday's encounter with Wigan Athletic.

A Will Grigg penalty and a second from Conor McAleny soon after saw United suffer just a third league defeat in three months.

Fans' favourite Basham returned to the starting line-up, replacing Campbell-Ryce, who dropped to the bench, where he was joined by the fit-again Done.

Fouls by Hammond and Morgan presented the opposition with free-kicks in dangerous positions in the opening ten minutes before United attempted to get on top.

Quick feet from Brayford and Coutts presented a half chance for Sharp, he fired wide with his left-foot and then the leading scoring linked up with Baxter, operating from the left, and the latter's audacious chip worried Jaaskelainen but dropped just wide.

For the remainder of the half, both goalkeepers were largely redundant as the outfielders battled to get on top. Late in the half, Wildschut turned over a cross from Daniels and Power failed to find the target from the edge of the box.

Adams replaced Sammon at the start of the second period and there was an early home chance for Sharp but, after turning his marker, he shot at Jaaskelainen. Soon after, Long pushed over a shot from Wildschut.

Wigan, though, gained the ascendency with two goals in the space of less than three minutes.
From Wildschut's burst, Basham was adjudged to have fouled with referee Martin pointing to the penalty spot, although the initial contact appeared to be just outside the box - GRIGG hammered home from 12 yards.

There was a chance to level but Adams shot at Jaaskelainen after Wigan could only half clear a cross from Coutts before the lead was doubled. Wildschut and Power helped move the ball from left to right for McALENY to blast home at the near post.

The next chance was an impressive Blades move at pace involving Sharp and Adams, resulting in McEveley overlapping on the left and shooting just wide, whilst United's afternoon got worse when Wigan were handed a second penalty, this time Coutts adjudged to have fouled McCann. Grigg, though, saw his second spot-kick saved by Long, diving to his left.

Done and Campbell-Ryce were introduced in an attempt to get back in the game. All the pressure was now coming from United but Wigan had switched to a back five and were content to protect their penalty area. Adams fired wide from the edge of the box and it was all that the home side could muster apart from an injury-time melee which saw McCann block from Sharp.

Blades: Long, Brayford, Basham (Done 70), Coutts, Sharp, Baxter (Campbell-Ryce 77), Collins, Sammon (Adams 45), McEveley, Edgar, Hammond.
Subs: Howard, Flynn, Woolford, Reed.

Wigan: Jaaskelainen, Perkins, Daniels, Power, McCann, Morsy, Grigg (Davies 77), Morgan, McAleny (Wabara 72), Pearce, Wildschut.
Subs: Kellett, Nicholls, Chow, Colclough, Vuckic.

Advertisement block