Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bolton 3-4 U21s - report

13 October 2015

United progressed to the next round of the U21 Premier League Cup, after edging a seven-goal thriller against Bolton Wanderers on Monday night.

Chris Morgan's side were never behind in the game, played at The County Ground, Leyland, home of the Lancashire FA, as two goals in each half paved the way for the success, with James Wallace completing the full game.

Joel Coustrain opened the scoring, before Ben Whiteman netted from the spot, whilst in the second period, Otis Khan and Jake Wright got in on the act as the Blades withstood a late revival from the hosts to secure a deserved victory.

In what proved to be an end-to-end encounter, both sides could have opened the scoring inside ten minutes. For the hosts, Twardzik curled a free-kick inches over the crossbar with Long beaten, whilst for the Blades, Heh robbed Taylor of possession on the edge of area but failed to trouble Campbell in the home goal with his shot.

But in their next attack in the 17th minute, United took the lead, with COUSTRAIN emphatically volleying home after a corner wasn't cleared by the Trotters.

The lead didn't last long though, as Wanderers responded immediately, with NEWELL finishing first-time past Long having raced on to Ceberio's through ball.

As the game ebbed and flowed, it was the Blades who were given a chance to regain the lead from the penalty spot, an opportunity WHITEMAN gladly accepted sending Campbell the wrong way from twelve yards.

Before the break, Ceberio slipped when inside the area having being picked out by Lussey, which allowed Long to gather comfortably to send the visitors into the interval with a narrow advantage.

After Campbell-Young had drilled narrowly wide for Wanderers inside the opening minute of the second-half, KHAN slotted home the Blades third from close-range moments later to give Chris Morgan's youngsters a bit of breathing space.

But that two-goal advantage lasted only six minutes, before the home side gave themselves another lifeline through SAMIZADEH, who cut in from the left and beat two defenders prior to rifling home.

Bolton made a couple of attacking changes as the game passed the hour mark, but it was United who looked the more threatening. Only a last-ditched tackle from Taylor denied Heh a goal, but moments later Heh turned provided teeing up WRIGHT who duly converted past Campbell.

CEBERIO scored Bolton's third within moments of the restart to setup a nervy final 20 minutes for United and Long was at full-stretch to deny Cvetko an equaliser with the last meaningful action of the contest to secure United's progression to the next round.

Blades: Long, Dimaio, Phillips, J. Wallace, Kennedy (Semple 45), Whiteman, Khan, Brooks, Wright, Heh (Slew 89), Coustrain (Cummings 75).
Unused: Ramsdale, Hallam.

Advertisement block