Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s 2-0 Forest - report

30 November 2015

United's U21s made it four league games unbeaten and a third consecutive clean sheet with a hard fought victory over Nottingham Forest at a soaked Bramall Lane on Monday afternoon.

Forest shaded the first-half, but a Jake Wright penalty and a Ben Whiteman thunderbolt after the interval saw Chris Morgan's side run out comfortable winners in the end to maintain their excellent form in the Professional Development League.

After a quiet opening 15 minutes both sides had chances to open the scoring in quick succession.
Firstly, Forest number nine Petravičius danced through three challenges before taking one touch too many, whilst at the other end McDonagh fired inches wide having skipped clear of two tackles.

As the Blades struggled to adapt to the wet and blustery conditions, the visitors looked a live threat, especially down the left with Thomas and Kelly whipping in a number of crosses as Forest strived to make the breakthrough. Meanwhile, for United, Whiteman shot wide after a good run.

The first-half drew to a close with a number of meaty challenges going in from both sets of players, although neither side could create any clear cut openings on goal, although the Reds should have done better on the break but Thorne and Rees were unable to keep their composure to tee up the unmarked Cash.

United started the positive, McDonagh twice stung the palms of Erlandsson, whilst Brooks outpaced Nielson before being crowded out in the penalty area.

The Blades continued to look the better side in the second period as the hour mark approached. A quickly taken free-kick saw Dimaio have a goal bound effort blocked, then in the second phase the Republic of Ireland U19 international fired over after Coustrain had shown Nielson a clean pair of heels on the left wing.

And that pressure paid off in the 64th minute. Whiteman broke play up and advanced forward sliding in WRIGHT, who got the wrong side of Worrall, before the Forest skipper wrestled him to the floor. United's number nine dried himself off before sending Erlandsson the wrong way from the spot.

The hosts added to Wright's penalty in emphatic style in the 72nd, under pressure Worrall could only head a left-wing cross into the path of the onrushing WHITEMAN who hit a superb effort into the top corner from the edge of the box, giving Erlandsson no chance.

As the contest entered the its final ten minutes, Banton produced a timely intervention at one end to deny Nielson or Worrall a clear sight of goal, whilst looking for a third, Brooks volleyed narrowly wide with his right foot.

And the final action, as three minute of added time were indicted, saw Coustrain denied with his legs by Erlandsson, but the Blades were excellent value for the win on the strength of a dominant second-half showing in testing conditions.

Blades: Ramsdale, Phillips, Kelly, Whiteman, Banton, Evans, Brooks, Dimaio, Wright (Heh 73), McDonagh, Coustrain.
Unused: Perryman, Litchfield, Gilmour, Cummings.

Advertisement block