Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blades 1-1 Hull - report

2 August 2015

United ended their pre-season campaign unbeaten following Sunday's stalemate against Championship outfit Hull City.

Jamie Murphy's first-half goal put the Blades in front at the interval following a dominant opening 45 minutes, but substitute Abel Hernandez
equalised late on for City to ensure the spoils were shared in what was an entertaining Yorkshire derby at the Lane.

For the final pre-season test before the Sky Bet League One campaign gets underway at Gillingham, Adkins handed Billy Sharp his third home debut, with Che Adams partnering him in attack having scored twice at Macclesfield Town in midweek.
Jamie Murphy also returned to the starting XI to face the Tigers having missed the 4-0 victory at Moss Rose, with Marc McNulty named amongst the substitutes.

An open start saw a chance at both ends. Firstly Basham headed Murphy's deep free-kick into the side netting, before Jelavic saw a shot blocked after a misplaced pass from Adams.

In the 11th minute United broke at pace and nearly opened the scoring. Collins strode out of defence before playing in Adams and McGregor got down in the nick of time saving with his legs, before Bruce cleared at the expense of a corner.

Moments later the teenager drew another good save from the City goalkeeper after dispossessing Meyler, with Bruce just able to stop Sharp getting on the end of the rebound. The Blades continued to look the likelier to break the deadlock and almost did so on three occasions in quick succession midway through the first period.

After being played in by Sharp, Dawson had to produce a last ditch tackle to block the advancing Scougall. From the resulting corner some indecision from McGregor saw Robertson head off the line, before the Scottish international stopper almost palmed a Murphy effort into the path of Sharp.

United finally made a dominant first-half display count a minute before the interval. MURPHY, who had been a constant threat throughout, cut inside from the left and saw his effort squirm through the hands of McGregor and into the net at his near post. At the other end, with the final kick of the first-half, Taylor fired a free-kick narrowly wide for the visitors.

At half-time, Long replaced Howard in goal, whilst the visitors made four changes. Having took a knock, Baxter was substituted with James Wallace given the final 30 minutes to impress, shortly before Woolford was introduced for Scougall.

Chances were at something of a premium, although Clucas and substitute N'Doye looked live threats for City. With little over 20 remaining, Sharp and Adams received a standing ovation from the 6,000 plus crowd inside Bramall Lane as they were replaced by Higdon and McNulty.

In the 78th minute Hull levelled the game with a goal from nothing. Dixon played a ball forward in the direction of HERNANDEZ who headed it over McFadzean before volleying home past Long. United reacted positively, with Woolford forcing a corner after his shot was deflected.

From the resulting set-piece with five minutes remaining, Higdon ghosted in unmarked at the back post, only to see his header rebound off a combination of the defender and the woodwork.
Moments later, the goal frame saved United at the other end after N'Doye and Hernandez combined to tee up Luer in the last meaningful action of the contest.

Blades: Howard (Long 45), Freeman, Collins, McEveley, McFadzean; Scougall (Woolford 62), Basham (K. Wallace 88), Baxter (J. Wallace 60), Murphy (Reed 76); Sharp (Higdon 69), Adams (McNulty 69).

Hull: McGregor, Taylor (Hayden 45), Dawson, Bruce (Davies 45), Robertson (Jahraldo-Martin69); Elmohamady (Lenihan 74), Meyler (Dixon 74), Huddlestone (N'Doye 45), Clucas; Aluko (Hernandez 69), Jelavic (Luer 45).
Unused: Jakupovic.

Advertisement block