Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Yeovil v Blades

14 April 2015

Yeovil 1-0 Blades - report

United remain in pole position for a play-off berth despite defeat at Yeovil Town on Tuesday night.

Huish Park is proving to be an unhappy hunting ground and Stephen Arthurworrey's second half effort in this fixture ensured the points remained with the home side as the Blades suffered second defeat in nine matches.

Boss Clough again freshened up his team for the encounter in Somerset, which kicked off in bright sunshine. The teamsheet showed four changes with Scougall, Done, Coutts and Steven Davies all starting - Baxter and McNulty dropped to the bench, whilst Kennedy and Reed missed out.

Flynn started at right-back, where he finished Saturday's fixture, whilst in front of him was Coutts, allowing Scougall, Holt and Doyle to operate in central midfield.

Yeovil won a corner in the first two minutes but the Blades opened well. Holt and Davies almost linked up to finish off a nice move, the aforementioned duo also both had shots in the first 10 minutes but home goalkeeper Krysiak was untroubled.

Corners at both ends saw defenders Brayford and Webster win headers in attacking positions but neither could lead to a goal. On 23 minutes, Scougall's probing run saw Done presented with a chance but his shot was blocked.

Before the half hour mark it looked as though the Blades had changed the formation of the team with Coutts now operating more centrally and Done joining Davies in attack for longer periods. From a Flynn cross, Davies laid off but Scougall sliced over and then Freeman drove at the home defence but his 25-yard shot was over.

Davies succumbed to his foot problem on 40 minutes and was replaced by Murphy, prompting another formation change, whilst United went close to breaking the deadlock soon after when Holt lost his marker and shot across goal, but the effort was narrowly wide of the right post.

Murphy's low cross saw Coutts side-foot over at the back post, whilst before break the Blades were forced into another change with Flynn limping out of the action, replaced by former Yeovil defender Alcock. In injury-time there was another chance for the visitors but Murphy's shot, after cutting in from the left, was saved and held by Krysiak.

Early in the second period there was a further injury worry as Coutts needed treatment but he was able to return to the action. On 53 minutes, the home fans were appealing for a penalty when Ugwu went down under Freeman's challenge but the defender was simply stronger, whilst Kingsley was wayward with his long-range shot.

A left footer from Coutts was wide after Brayford brought the ball out of defence but Yeovil went close on 66 minutes but Moore headed across goal from the back post, following Kingsley's cross.
The visitors did, however, open the scoring with their next attack. Foley's free-kick from the halfway line saw Webster win the initial header and in a crowded box, ARTHURWORREY was credited adding the vital touch to beat Howard.

Murphy cut in but shot wide as United looked for a quick response, whilst Baxter replaced the tiring Scougall. On 80 minutes, Murphy, booked just before, clipped over goalkeeper Krysiak but Done was crowded out as Yeovil put bodies behind the ball to protect their advantage.

The closing minutes saw United unable to work an opening and the score could have been worse had Moore connected better to Foley's left-wing cross. Three added minutes was announced but Yeovil ran down the clock professionally to inflict United's first defeat in four matches.

Yeovil: Krysiak, N. Smith, Berrett, Foley, Moore, Ugwu (Twumasi 85), Arthurworrey, Webster, Sheehan, Shephard, Kingsley.
Unused: Weale, Hayter, Leitch-Smith, Hoskins, Grant, Eastmond.

Blades: Howard, Brayford, Basham, Flynn (Alcock 44), Doyle, Scougall (Baxter 73), Done, Coutts, Freeman, S. Davies (Murphy 40), Holt.
Unused: McNulty, B. Davies, McGahey, Turner.

Advertisement block