Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s 1-1 Wednesday - report

17 September 2014

The U21 Steel City derby ended all square at a misty Bramall Lane on Wednesday night.

Connor Dimaio put the Blades into a deserved lead in the first-half, but the visitors rallied after the break and Ed Sanders headed home from a corner to ensure the game ended in stalemate.

Stefan Scougall continued on the road to full fitness, adding 45 minutes to his cameo appearance at Colchester United on Tuesday night, whilst Ryan Flynn and Louis Reed completed an hour.

Flynn had the first sight of goal in the 9th minute, shooting into the side netting after a poor clearance from Beatson. At the other end, Betra shot wide for the Owls after a good work from McCabe.

United continued to press forward, with firstly De Girolamo and then Khan stinging the palms of Wednesday goalkeeper Wildsmith.

The hosts should have been in front in the 19th minute, De Girolamo chased a lost cause before robbing Beatson, but from the cut back Wildsmith produced a fine save to deny Scougall. The next shot at goal came from De Girolamo himself, but his angled drive went wide of the far post.

The home side deservedly took the lead in the 37th minute. Paling's scuffed cross was collected by Croasdale, but he dallied in possession of the ball and after a perfectly timed tackle, DIMAIO picked himself up, cut inside onto his left foot and curled home past the outstretched dive of Wildsmith.

Before the break, Dieseruvwe was booked for dissent, prior to United's goalscorer clearing off the line from a McCabe corner on the right.

There were three substitutions at half-time; Whiteman replaced the impressive Scougall for the Blades, whilst Meddows and Sanders were introduced for the Owls, with Magairaz and McCabe making way.

Wednesday were quickly out of the blocks in the second-half and levelled in the 51st minute. SANDERS rose highest to head home from Croasdale's corner on the left.

United's response was almost instant, with Reed drawing Wildsmith into a fine reflex stop from close range. On the hour mark United made a double change with Coustrain and McDonagh taking the places of Reed and Flynn.

The visitors were starting to gain the upper hand and in the 77thminute Corry was only denied by the onrushing Turner after a strong run by substitute Meddows. The United stopper then produced a timely save to deny Croasdale from long range.

The final ten minutes produced little goalmouth action of note, although Floro became the second Owl to be booked for a reckless lunge on Khan.

United twice came close to a winner in stoppage time, Paling was denied by Wildsmith and from the resulting corner Berry saw his goal bound header cleared off the line.

Blades: Turner, Paling, Scarisbrick, Dimaio, McLean, Berry, Khan, Reed (Coustrain 60), De Girolamo, Scougall (Whiteman H/T) Flynn (McDonagh 60).

Advertisement block