Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s 3-1 Hartlepool - report

27 October 2014

An impressive second half display ensured United's safe passage into the second round of the FA Youth Cup.

At Bramall Lane on Monday evening, Nigel Clough was an interested spectator as the young Blades beat Hartlepool United in the first round of the prestigious competition.

Jake Wright opened the scoring just after the hour, Danny Ramsey added a second and Jamie Hinchliffe rounded off the scoring with a late penalty.

Hartlepool made the brighter start, emphasised by Smith striking the crossbar in the first minute. Blades goalkeeper Eastwood also had to push away Blackford's corner after a mis-kick by Gordon, who made amends on 16 minutes when he headed Wood's back post header off the line.

United's only efforts of the opening half hour were Heh's shot, which was kicked away by visiting goalkeeper Dawson, and from the resulting corner Cockerline fired over after Cheeseman won the initial header.

As the half wore on, the game progressed into a battle for supremacy but the chances dried up, with the only other notable effort of the first period arriving on 40 minutes but Calvert-Lewin's header from Gordon's cross was straight at goalkeeper Dawson.

The start of the second half saw United get on top very quickly. Wright shot wide on 48 minutes and a Calvert-Lewin effort was saved following Kedman's free-kick. Cockerline was put in the clear but his effort was saved by Dawson but the Blades took the lead just after the hour when Gordon's corner was powerfully headed home by WRIGHT.

Cockerline had a chance to double the lead but fired across goal and wide, whilst Hartlepool's first chance of the second half saw Smith's shot saved by Eastwood from an acute angle on 69 minutes.

SMITH, however, did net with his next opportunity, on 75 minutes. He got the better of Hinchliffe before firing across Eastwood and into the bottom corner.

The Blades, though, took just five minutes to restore the lead and curtail any potential Hartlepool momentum. An attempted clearance from Howes fell at the feet RAMSEY, who took a steadying touch before slotting past Dawson.

Calvert-Lewin's free-kick was well held by Dawson but the Blades put the icing on the victory in injury-time when substitute Giraud-Hutchinson was fouled by Male. HINCHLIFFE took responsibility for the spot kick and sent the visiting goalkeeper the wrong way to secure a second round tie at Fleetwood Town.

Blades: Eastwood, Gordon, Kedman (Ramsey 65), Ishmail, Evans, Cheeseman, Heh (Giraud-Hutchinson 84), Calvert-Lewin, Cockerline (Slew 78), Wright, Hinchliffe.
Unused: Adebowale, Ramsdale.

Hartlepool: Dawson, Carr, Howes (Varga 87), Green, Turnbull, Male, Armstrong, Jewson, Wood, Smith, Blackford.
Unused: Cunningham, Elliot, Skidmore, Briggs.

Advertisement block