Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blades v Peterborough

4 March 2014

Blades 2-0 Peterborough - report

The Blades made it eight wins on the bounce with a comfortable victory over play-off chasing Peterborough United.

Ben Davies netted his first goal with a glorious free-kick just after half-time and Chris Porter came off the bench to score his customary goal.

With injury and fatigue issues, boss Clough made no less than six changes. Youngsters Kennedy and McFadzean were given chances to impress, whilst Miller, McGinn, Davies and Paynter were also recalled.

There were also a number of positional changes, Davies and Hill lined up as full-backs with Kennedy and Collins in central defensive. Further forward, Doyle, McGinn, Coady and McFadzean were the midfielders, whilst up front Miller and Paynter were paired.

The Blades started neatly but the only half-chance of note in the opening ten minute was a mis-hit effort from Miller after Coady's pass. For Peterborough, McQuoid half-volleyed wide on the turn, whilst Swanson's shot was blocked by Hill.

After Paynter's lay-off, Miller's shot was cleared over the crossbar by Little and McGinn's shot on the turn was saved by Olejnik. United were getting on top and on 24 minutes, with his last action before limping off, McFadzean's effort deflected off Washington and trickled wide.

As the half continued the Blades continued to look the more likely to score and the better of the chances fell to the home side. On 37 minutes a McGinn shot from the edge of the box struck the base of the right post and the rebound from Paynter was smothered by goalkeeper Olejnik, whilst in the closing minutes a break involving with Doyle and Paynter resulted in Miller firing just over from the left channel.

The first half efforts went unrewarded but that was not the case early in the second half. Miller was fouled by Brisley on the edge of the box and DAVIES curled the resulting free-kick into the top corner, leaving Olejnik stranded.

A second almost followed when Paynter got on the end of Hill's pass and laid off to McGinn, who looped the ball over. The Scottish midfielder was struggling from an earlier collision and was replaced by Scougall soon afterwards.

Peterborough made a double change and went close to levelling when Baldwin met McCann's corner but the Blades were soon back on the offensive and after a Flynn run down the right, Miller beat Olejnik but was forced wide before attempting a shot, which was blocked.

Coady picked up the game's first booking, for a foul on Baldwin, whilst Porter replaced Paynter as Clough made his last change. Assombalonga fired wide for the visitors and then, on 75 minutes, Scougall and Porter linked up before Coady sidefooted over.

Peterborough forced a number of corners in the second half but late on the Blades confirmed their dominance and added a clincher. Coady ran at the visiting defence and played a perfectly weighted ball for PORTER to slide home, past the onrushing Olejnik.

The goal was thoroughly deserved and all that was left to do was see out the remaining moments, although Newell had a chance to reduce the arrears, before four added minutes was played out and another Blades win was registered in the Sky Bet League One table.

Blades: Howard, Hill, Doyle, Miller, McGinn (Scougall 53), Collins, Coady, Paynter (Porter 66), Davies, McFadzean (Flynn 24), Kennedy.
Unused: Harris, Baxter, Long, Reed.

Peterborough: Olejnik, Alcock (Newell 64), Brisley, Baldwin, Swanson, McCann, Rowe, Ajose, Washington (Bostwick 55), Little, McQuoid (Assombalonga 55).
Unused: Ntlhe, Payne, Day, Kearns.

Advertisement block