Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wolves v Blades

28 September 2013

Wolves 2-0 Blades - report

United's woes - particularly on the road - continued despite more positive signs from David Weir's side.

As in previous weeks, the Blades started well and the neat football paved the way for a number of chances, which forced saves out of Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme.

But second half goals from Leigh Griffiths and Bakery Sako earned Wolves the points and left the Blades with a sixth consecutive league defeat.

Boss Weir kept faith with the side that impressed against Preston, despite the narrow defeat, which included former Wolves players Collins and Hill. In the Wolves starting line-up was former Blade McDonald and two ex Lane loanees, Ikeme and Batth.

Two shots on target - both without reply - in the opening 10 minutes displayed United's intentions against one of the divisions front runners. Ikeme needed to parry away efforts from Cuvelier and Brandy, whilst a McMahon free-kick on 13 minutes was just wide.

The Blades, undoubtedly, bossed the opening half hour. More chances were forthcoming. Baxter's effort was deflected wide, King poked through to Brandy, but his shot was saved by the legs of Ikeme and then Brandy ran at the defence but Cuvelier's attempt was off target.

The first chance for the home side was on 31 minutes but although they went close from a corner, the linesman's flag was up. Siguardarson tried to play in Griffiths but was blocked by Maguire and there were ironic cheers from the home fans on 45 minutes, seconds before the half-time whistle, when they registered their first effort on goal but the effort from Griffiths was weak and very comfortable for Long.

Early in the second half Brandy headed wide a cross from King, whilst for the home side, substitute Doyle shot at Long, as did Doherty, on 61 minutes.

However, as in previous weeks, United's good work went unrewarded as the opposition took full advantage of still being in the game. On 66 minutes, following a Blades attack, Wolves broke and Sako's deep cross from the left saw the ball ricochet kindly between GRIFFITHS and Long before dropping in the goal.

In the aftermath, McMahon was booked for a foul and it could have been worse. In the penalty area, Cuvelier blocked a Griffiths cross with his arm and in the same move Wolves' Doyle headed home, but he was in an offside position.

Taylor replaced Hall for the final ten minutes but late on the home side's Doyle headed over a Sako cross and a Baxter shot was deflected wide.

However, a late leveller that the performance deserved was not forthcoming as United suffered on the road once more. As the watch ticked around to 90 minutes, Ironside was introduced but the final say went to the home side as BAKO fired in a bullet from 30 yards on 90 minutes.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Edwards (Forde 78), Batth, Griffiths (Cassidy 73), Sako, McDonald, Siguardarson (K Doyle 45), Rickett, Price, Golbourne.
Unused: Elokobi, Stearman, Evans, McCarey.

Blades: Long, Hall (Taylor 40), Maguire, Hill, M. Doyle, Baxter (Ironside 90), Collins, Cuvelier, King, Brandy, McMahon.
Unused: Howard, Westlake, McGinn, Coady, McGinty.

Advertisement block