Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Peterborough v Blades

22 October 2013

Peterborough 0-0 Blades - report

Peterborough 0-0 Blades - match report

The Blades recorded a first clean sheet of the season and deservedly picked up a point from Tuesday's encounter at high-flying Peterborough.

Darren Ferguson's Posh had won seven of their eight home games previous to the Blades visit.

But the Blades had the best chance of the fixture with Lyle Taylor crashing a 20-yard shot against the crossbar in the first half.

Interim chief Morgan made two changes for the trip to Peterborough's London Road ground. Lappin replaced Hill, who suffered an injury late in Saturday's victory over Port Vale, whilst Coady took over from King, who dropped to the bench.

Doyle looked to start where he left off on Saturday and took just 45 seconds to get a shot away but it was blocked in a crowded penalty area. It was after this chance that United's formation of 4-5-1 - Taylor the lone frontman - was confirmed.

The opening 15 minutes were pretty even with both sides creating half-chances. Bostwick smashed over for the home side and Swanson forced Long to save with his legs following a break with pace. For the Blades, after Doyle had nicked the ball and patient build up, Coady dragged his shot wide.

Flynn picked up the game's first booking for pulling back Ntihe and Peterborough created the next two opportunities - Barnett missed the target with a near post header and Paul Taylor shot into the sidenetting.

A couple of enterprising breaks from the Blades were not rewarded with clear-cut chances but on 35 minutes Peterborough came within inches of opening the scoring when the ball landed at the feet of Rowe but he drilled wide from the edge of the box.

The best opportunity of the first half arrived on 37 minutes and came for the Blades. Taylor robbed Zakuani and thundered a 20-yard effort against the crossbar with goalkeeper Olejnik well-beaten. With Peterborough stunned, the visitors kept possession and Brandy turned his man but fired across goal and wide.

Another long distance effort from Bostwick, comfortably claimed by Long, concluded the half, whilst the Blades goalkeeper was forced to make a smart save early in the second period, pushing away a shot from Taylor.

A couple of set-pieces kept the Blades fans interested and Peterborough made the first change of the night just after the hour, introducing former Lane loanee Mendez-Laing.

King replaced the hard-working Taylor with 20 minutes to go to give the Blades fresh legs in attack and soon after Brandy was booked for hauling down Mendez-Laing, his final contribution before being replaced by Murphy.

Coady ghosted into the box with ten minutes remaining but his cross was cut out and United's organisation and discipline was tested late on, with Morgan throwing on Westlake for Flynn.

With three minutes remaining Murphy cut in from the left and his shot was on target but blocked and five added minutes gave both sets of supporters hope of a winner.

There was a nervous moment for Peterborough when referee East's whistle signalled a foul on Coady by Ntihe on the edge of the box but Lappin fired over the free-kick.

Deep into the added period there was drama, Maguire blocked from Assombalonga and from the resulting corner the Blades broke away with Murphy outpacing Ntihe before seeing his shot blocked by Olejnik - the final action of an invigorating encounter.

Peterborough: Olejnik, Alcock, Ntihe, Zakuani, Bostwick, Swanson (Mendez-Laing 62), Payne, McCann (Assombalonga 73), P. Taylor, Rowe, Barnett.
Unused: Day, Brisley, Newell, Knight-Percival, Jeffers.

Blades: Long, Maguire, Flynn (Westlake 87), Doyle, L. Taylor (King 71), McGinn, Collins, Coady, Brandy (Murphy 78), Lappin, McMahon.
Unused: Howard, Miller, Cuvelier, McGinty.

Advertisement block