Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol City v Blades

23 November 2013

Bristol City 0-1 Blades - report

United recorded a first away league victory of the season at Bristol City on Saturday.

In front of 914 travelling Unitedites, Aden Flint's own goal, turning in Tony McMahon's cross, was the difference between the sides.

The goal helped the Blades leapfrog over Bristol City in the table and ended a five-match unbeaten run from Sean O'Driscoll's Robins.

Clough made three changes for the trip to Bristol. Midfielders McGinn and Coady, as well as forward Taylor, were recalled - Hill, Flynn and Miller all dropped to the bench.

Wearing all yellow, United's defensive units made a solid start with little in terms of attacking intent visible in the opening 15 minutes. Maguire headed over a Lappin free-kick and the Blades defender picked up the game's booking, a heavy touch resulting in him ploughing into Cunningham.

Emmanuel-Thomas fired over a set-piece before both goalkeepers were forced into action from free-kicks within four minutes. Firstly, Long drifted across his line to hold Shorey's curler and then, after a foul on Lappin, McMahon beat the wall but Parish dropped to his right to make a save.

Long was called upon again on 37 minutes to keep out the best opportunity of the period. Wagstaff pushed the ball down the left channel where Baldock had beaten the offside trap but his shot was blocked by the legs of the Blades goalkeeper, who was quickly off his line to cut down the angle.

The final noteworthy point of an unspectacular first half was a yellow card for Coady, who, like Maguire before him, fouled Cunningham.

The first three opportunities of the second half fell to the Blades as the home crowd began to voice their displeasure. From a break, Coady fired wide, despite being unopposed, then Taylor had two efforts, he blasted wide and then hit the second straight at goalkeeper Parish.

Just after the hour, Baxter took over from Taylor but City hit back with two chances inside a minute. From an Emmanuel-Thomas free-kick, Porter did enough to prevent Elliott getting a clean header at goal and from the resulting corner, after a penalty appeal, Baldock fired over.

It was the Blades, however, who made the vital and decisive breakthrough on 77 minutes. A patient build-up on the right, involving Coady, McGinn and Porter, resulted in McMahon wriggling free and delivering a low cross which flashed off defender FLINT and into his own net.

City's response was to introduce a couple of attacking-minded players, whilst the Blades threw on Bristolian Hill in place of Lappin to add defensive solidarity. With two minutes left an Emmanuel-Thomas corner was bundled into the net in a crowded penalty area but referee Stroud awarded the visitors a free-kick after Long was blocked off.

Four minutes of added time was welcomed by the home side and a long thrown from Emmanuel-Thomas saw Osborne fire over, whilst the last action was a long-range free-kick which saw the Blades wall race out to block an Emmanuel-Thomas free-kick.

City: Parish, Moloney (Harewood 82), Flint, Baldock, Emmanuel-Thomas, Wagstaff, Cunningham (McLaughlin 78), Pack, Shorey (Williams 66), Elliott, Osborne.
Unused: Fielding, R. Taylor, Brundle, Gillett.
Blades: Long, White, Maguire, Doyle, Porter, L. Taylor (Baxter 62), McGinn, Collins, Coady, Lappin (Hill 85), McMahon.
Unused: Howard, Flynn, Miller, Cuvelier, King.

Advertisement block