Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wigan 2-1 U21s - report

26 March 2013

United's U21s slipped to a narrow and undeserved defeat to Wigan Athletic at Robin Park Arena.

Guillermo Andres gave the hosts an early lead, but Aaron Barry levelled at the beginning of the second half. With the Blades looking the mostly likely winners, Rakish Bingham caught United on the counter attack to cruelly deny the youngsters a share of the spoils.

The home side put the Blades on the back foot from the off forcing two early corners and from the second one took a fourth minute lead when ANDRES curled home a precise effort with his left foot from inside the penalty area.

In the 14th minute United had their first sight of goal, but despite some indecision between Morris and Campabadal, Smith was denied by the advancing Marosi. At the other end Bingham went close to doubling the Latics' advantage but his diving header was saved by triallist goalkeeper Dewbury.

The young stopper then had to be alert to deny Redmond, firstly with a stinging drive from 25 yards, then from a free-kick on the left. For the Blades, skipper Kennedy headed narrowly over the crossbar from Whitehouse's inviting free kick.

In the 49th minute, United, who had been threatening before the break, drew level as BARRY bundled the ball home from close range following a Whitehouse free-kick from the right, after Marosi parried away a goalbound header.

Three minutes later United appeared to have completed the turnaround as Whiteman powered through on goal and beat Marosi, only for the assistant referee to intervene with a raised flag. On the hour mark, Smith came close to putting the Blades in front but after beating Morris down the left the striker was denied by a timely save from Marosi.

The windy conditions almost caught Dewbury out as he gathered Watson's looping cross at his back post. At the other end a cross from Khan nearly beat Marosi but the Wigan stopper recovered to tip the ball over the bar.

Wigan responded with Redmond, a constant threat, rattling the crossbar and on the follow up the ball bounced too high for Johnson to connect. The hosts, though, did take the lead, arguably against the run of play with 13 minutes remaining, when BINGHAM latched onto a through ball from Meadows and lifted the ball over the onrushing Dewbury.

The Blades refused to go down without a fight and the impressive Whiteman drew another save from Marosi as United pressed for a second leveller, but unfortunately time ran out on Chris Morgan's youngsters.

Blades: Dewbury, Scarisbrick, Pemberton (Whiteman 47), Harriott, Kennedy, Barry, Hodder (Khan 47), Whitehouse, Porter, Smith (Eyre 69), M. Williams.
Unused: Owen, J. Williams.

Advertisement block