Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

York 1-1 Blades - report

27 July 2013

McFadzean puts United ahead

United rounded off pre-season preparations with a draw at York City - ensuring that that David Weir has gone through all eight warm up games unbeaten.

Callum McFadzean gave the Blades an early lead with an impressive strike but Ryan Bowman earned a share of spoils for the League Two hosts on 79 minutes.

Taylor, scorer of Friday night's equaliser against Atromitos, started at York and was joined by fellow new boys Coady and McGinty, whilst three Academy players made up the bench. Cresswell, now with his hometown team, was applauded by the Blades fans when his name was announced before kick-off.

Cresswell was involved in creating York's first chance but Howard saved the deflected effort from Jarvis and United's first real sight of goal resulted in a goal on eight minutes. The move originated with Coady's accurate 40-yard pass and after Taylor headed down, McFADZEAN cut inside onto his left foot and fired home from 25 yards, which goalkeeper Ingham got a hand to but couldn't keep out.

Within minutes a second almost followed when Taylor sidefooted over McGinty's cross and although the chances dried up midway through the half, the Blades remained the more offensive force.
Howard was forced to tip over a Coulson shot on 35 minutes but United quickly wrestled back the initiative and Taylor shot wide a minute later.

Just before the break the Blades came close to doubling the advantage when Smith and Taylor linked up down the right channel, enabling the latter to pull back for McFadzean, but the Sheffielder was denied a second by the goalkeeper's legs.

Early in the second half Smith combined with McFadzean but the subsequent shot was deflected into the arms of Ingham and then McMahon fired over, his last action before being one of three Blades substituted on the hour.

For York, Jarvis had an effort blocked and Coulson looked to chip Howard but the big frame of the goalkeeper denied the home side an equaliser.

Academy players Khan, Dimaio and Reed were all introduced in the second half for their first tastes of senior action and the latter had the chance of opening his goalscoring account on 73 minutes but shot just wide of the target.

On 79 minutes York levelled after taking advantage of the ball pinging around the Blades box, substitute BOWMAN eventually slotting into the corner of the net, but the visitors hit straight back, attempting to regain the lead. Hodder fired just wide and Ironside latched on to a mistake by Ingham but his curler was just off target.

The Blades were forced to defend late on but with the likes of Howard, Higginbotham and Hill still on the field at the end, the unbeaten pre-season record was preserved.

York: Ingham, Davies, Smith, Parslow, Coulson, Clay, Jarvis, Cresswell, Platt, Allan, Puri.
Subs: Kettings, McGurk, Chambers, McReady, Fyfield, Bowman, Dickinson, Atkinson, Banks, Coates, Murray.

Blades: Howard, McMahon (Kennedy 60), Higginbotham, Hill, Flynn (Khan 60), Smith (Hodder 75), Taylor (Ironside 60), McFadzean (Reed 68), Whitehouse, Coady (Dimaio 68), McGinty (Barry 75).
Unused: Willis.

Att: 2,230 (1,188 away fans)

Advertisement block