Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s 1-1 Forest - report

26 August 2013

Danny Higginbotham netted a late equaliser to ensure the Blades a share of the spoils against Nottingham Forest at Bramall Lane.

Forest had taken the lead in the 6th minute through a Stephen McLaughlin free-kick, but United's youngsters battled to the end and got their reward in the 89th minute when Higginbotham scrambled the ball home, following a quickly taken short corner on the right.

The first meaningful action of the contest saw the visitors take the lead in front a healthy crowd at the Lane. After Higginbotham appeared to have been fouled moments earlier, the experienced defender was adjudged to have upended MCLAUGHLIN, who duly dusted himself down before curling home left-footed from 25 yards out.

Moments late Forest's number nine came within a whisker of a second, only to see his powerful effort hit the top of the crossbar. At the other end, Eyre rolled his marker and unleashed a goalbound strike that was well saved by Smith.

Forest continued to enjoy the lion share of possession, but Eyre was a constant threat for United and he hit another left-footed striker just wide of the post after shaking of the attentions of Woodward. On the stroke of half-time Willis saved comfortably from Osborn.

The second-half saw the visitors start on the front foot and a stretching Osborn fired high and wide with the goal at his mercy after good work involving McLaughlin and Wallace. United were then indebted to two saves from Willis in quick succession, firstly to deny the lively McLaughlin, before tipping over Glasscoe's goalbound effort.

A flurry of substitutions followed for both teams and McLaughlin should have made the game safe for Forest when heading into the side netting from a Wallace corner with eight minutes remaining.

United mounted a late rally and duly got their reward in the final minute of normal time. Johns played a short corner with the industrious Eyre and his inswinging centre was misjudged and fumbled by Smith, allowing the alert HIGGINBOTHAM the chance to poke the ball just over the line from close range.

In the scheduled four minutes of stoppage time, neither side could keep their composure around the penalty area, meaning the contest ended in stalemate. It was United's second consecutive 1-1 draw of the season following last week's point at Birmingham City.

Blades: Willis, Scarisbrick (Cockerline 65), Ptak, Boateng (Coustrain 81), Banton, Higginbotham, Hodder, Whitehouse, Eyre, Smith (Khan 65), Johns.
Unused: Owen, Evans.

Advertisement block