Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 2-1 U18s - Cup report

15 November 2012

Rochdale 2-1 Blades U18s - match report

United's youngsters are out of the FA Youth Cup, following an unfortunate 2-1 defeat at Spotland on Wednesday evening.

Goalkeeper George Wills was forced off early on and having already gone a goal down to a Callum Camps header, Chris Salt was then red carded for a foul on Andrew Cannon that led to a Dale penalty.

Sub goalie Gareth Owen saved the resulting spot kick from Scott Tanser before fellow substitute Connor Dimaio levelled the contest on the half hour mark.

The ten men battled gallantly in the second period only for the hosts to settle the second round tie in the 69th minute when Daniel Whitehall lashed home after initially being denied by Owen.

The Lancastrians started firmly on the front foot, Cannon was denied by Willis, before Whitehall headed over moments later. United were than handed a major blow when Willis failed to recover from a heavy clash with Tuanzebe and Owen took over between the sticks.

In the 14th minute the hosts took the lead when CAMPS rose highest to head home a corner from Tanser, moments later the night looked to be getting even worse for Jamie Hoyland's side. Cannon raced through on goal only for Salt to intervene. Referee Barnard adjudged the defender had fouled the Dale midfielder and deemed the challenge worthy of a red card.

Owen's excellent save, diving away to his left from Tanser's spot-kick kept the Blades in the contest and in the 30th minute DIMAIO, who had replaced Coustrain minutes earlier, lashed home via the underside of the crossbar from Khan's short corner to restore parity.

From the restart Cannon hit the post from a narrow angle, before Josh Williams made a timely challenge to deny Logan. Tanser and Hill then came close from set-pieces as United saw the game through to half-time. The ten men started the second period strongly and only a last ditch block prevented McDonagh, who had beat three defenders on a mazy run, from testing Dale goalkeeper Ashley. At the other end Owen was down quickly to deny Logan.

On the hour mark Rochdale spurned a guilt edge chance to regain their advantage, but Tuanzebe somehow missed the target from four yards out after good work by Whitehall.

United succumbed to the mounting pressure in the 69th minute though when CANNON fired home on the rebound after Owen had blocked his first attempt.

As the ten men tired, the home side looked likely to add a third with Whitehall and Logan both going close, the Blades replied with a De Girolamo overhead kick, before Hill cleared off the line after substitute Heather had prodded the ball goalwards from Owen's long kick.

United's final opportunity to preserve their place in the competition fell to Khan, who after making a lung bursting run forward, failed to connect with the ball.

Blades: Willis (Owen 14), Hodder, T. Williams, Pemberton, Salt, J. Williams, McDonagh, Khan, Smith (Heather 84), De Girolamo, Coustrain (Dimaio 27).
Unused: Paling, Whiteman.

Advertisement block