Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

14 October 2019 Venue Proact Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Sheffield United
1 - 1
Nottingham Forest

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Match Reports

Under 23s 1-1 Forest - report

14 October 2019

Sponsored by

Sheffield United's Under 23s came from behind to grab a point against league leaders Nottingham Forest thanks to a spirited second half performance where the hosts did enough to think they could have nicked all three points on another occasion.

Reece York was once again the player to find the net with just eight minutes of the match remaining after a deflected effort from a Forest trialist had given the visitors the lead on a counter attack.

On a wet and blustery night in Chesterfield it took both sides some time to find their rhythm during a quiet first 45 minutes, but United came close when Tashae Andall-Gibbons drove a ball across goal which just evaded Sam Ackroyd.

Forest came close to taking the lead on the half an hour mark when a powerful free-kick was well pushed away by Jordan Amissah, while Jake Young forced a save out of Jordan Smith at the other end just before half-time.

The visitors had dominant spells on the ball in the first half but the second half was a much more open affair as the Blades began to settle into their game and play their football in search of an opener.

Young came closer still when some good play from Andall-Gibbons and Callum Gribbin gave him space inside the box, but his low effort was well blocked by Smith.

Minutes later the visitors snatched the opening goal. A quick break ended in the trialist cutting in from the left and firing an effort which left Amissah with no chance after taking a big deflection off Ashton Hall.

But the Blades responded well as Andy Hughes made three changes in the space of 10 minutes, introducing Sammy Ompreon, Stephen Mallon and Iliman Ndiaye.

It was right wing-back Keenan Ferguson who should have equalised when he was played in down the right channel, only to slice his shot wide of the near post.

Young sent a header straight at Smith moments later before the equaliser did finally come when York cut inside his marker on the left and lofted the ball over everyone into the far corner of the net to level the scores.

The final minutes were fraught and frantic as both sides searched for a winner, United denied firstly by Smith as Ferguson broke through once again down the right before Gribbin saw a stoppage time corner bounce agonisingly back off the post.

Amissah, Ferguson, Boyes (Mallon 70), Gordon, Hall, Belehouan, York, Gribbin, Ackroyd (Ompreon 64), Young, Andall-Gibbons (Ndiaye 74).
Unused: S. Kelly, Sheppeard.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block