Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

27 October 2019 Venue Olympic Legacy Park Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Sheffield United
2 - 2
Charlton Athletic

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Match Reports

United Women 2-2 Charlton -report

27 October 2019

Sponsored by

Sheffield United Women came from behind to take a point at home to Charlton Athletic as their run of four FA Women's Championship wins on the bounce came to an end.

It was a frustrating encounter which saw Carla Ward's side undone twice in the first half to give the visitors the lead at the break, and despite second half dominance could only find an equaliser rather than a winner.

As they have done so often this season United came flying out of the blocks and had the lead inside five minutes.

Jade Pennock as usual was at the heart of things and when she cut in from the right, her left-footed effort looked to take a touch off Katie Wilkinson on its way into the back of the net.

It should have been the platform for the Blades to go on and control things and they did come close to another when Keri Matthews saw an effort blocked and Wilkinson headed the resulting corner over.

They came closer still when Maddy Cusack saw a cross come back off the bar and when Pennock got her head on the rebound the ball then agonisingly bounced back off the post.

Charlton got themselves back into the game soon after when Ellie Dorey latched onto a ball in behind the Blades defence and fired home into the corner.

The hosts struggled to regain a hold on the match and were dealt a bigger blow right on half-time when Charlie Devlin rounded Becky Flaherty and made it 2-1 to the away side.

In the second half it was a different matter as Charlton sunk back into their own half and allowed United to put the pressure on.

Substitute Olivia Fergusson went close when Pennock played her in but didn't make a true connection with her effort, but the winger did find the vital touch with 15 minutes to go when she tapped home Sophie Barker's cross.

It left United with 15 minutes to find a winner and despite plenty of pressure it didn't come. Wilkinson went closest when she headed a corner over the bar in stoppage time but it ended all square at Olympic Legacy Park.

Blades: Flaherty, S. Barker, Tierney, Hartley, Pennock, Cusack, Wilkinson, Paul (Fletcher 62), Matthews (Fergusson 50), Palmer, Sarri (Johnson 50).
Unused subs: Batty.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block