Our Legends of the Lane Museum will have been open for an incredible 6 years in December, and it has seen much action in its lifetime.
It has been the hub of many schools based projects during the working week as well as acting as the reception area for our sponsors on a match day, being converted into an exclusive dining area for the bigger games and, of course, our popular ground tours conducted by living Lane legend Tony Currie as well as resident historian John Garrett.
We are still only one of a very elite band including Arsenal and Manchester United to have such a dedicated facility at our famous home, and the collection that is housed within is regarded as one of the very best in terms of size and historical value to the wider game itself.
The Club own a portion as do several private owners and the former players and their families that have helped build the Blades.
Midway through last season a water leak severely damaged the wooden floor at the front of the facility - for reasons of health and safety this area had to be cordoned off until the necessary work could be carried out which was planned for the summer.
We are delighted to report that the work is under way following the instruction of our insurers - this is being carried out by original Legends of the Lane developer Don Dickinson and his team at Dendale in conjunction with Mark Steer at Pyramid Carpets.
Our collection has had to be carefully wrapped, boxed up and securely stored in order that work can begin - quite a job in itself. Each cabinet has also had to be sealed and moved to ensure that no dust from the sanding down contaminates them.
A large section of the floor has had to be replaced, as well as renovation work on the floor itself on which the wood sits.
This means that the Museum will be shut for a short time. It also gives us a fantastic opportunity to freshen up displays we have less than a quarter of the collection out on display at any one time, so it will be great to have a rummage around and see what fascinating pieces of the Blades history we can show to the world over the coming months.
The 1899 and 1915 FA Cup Final balls will be seen together for the first time, whilst new tour times and booking details for the stadium and museum will be made available in due course.